Tuesday 1 August 2017

Office

As you know I work as a busdriver. But the last four days I spent sitting behind my computer doing a lot of searching, typing (ten fingers fortunately), constructing stories, checking, rereading, removing letters and words, rearranging etc etc. 

Apart from having something to show for it at the end (and the end is getting closer now), it is hard work. I cannot understand people who actually do it for a living: sitting behind a computer screen day in day out. I think I would go batty!

I did go out today though. Finally. I had only been out once or twice to see whether a package that was due last week had arrived (it hasn't), but today I needed to get to the shop. No bread, milk long overdue, no dinner left, no fruit. And how lovely it was to feel the sun on my head and the wind in my hair. 

Then I got back home and got stuck straight back in. And this afternoon was the afternoon of incredulity. When I checked my father's ancestors for pre-marriage pregnancies, I found two. Out of thirty or thereabouts. When I checked my mother's ancestors, I found a few more. Well, I found over twenty. Out of thirty or thereabouts! My jaw just kept dropping and dropping, until I was nearly in the basement. 

Ah well, tomorrow it's back to work. I am not completely finished with my mother's book yet, but it is looking good so far (57 pages) and I will be able to do some work in the evenings. Next week is my deadline (I always have an absolute deadline) and then it's back to normal life. 

I will give my eyes some rest now though, and watch some television and read a bit. An early night and back on the bus!

9 comments:

  1. You have made great progress but we are thankful you stopped long enough to buy food and see and enjoy the sun.
    Hope your route tomorrow is good w/ no crazies on your bus.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    you just reminded me I need to get bread... good for you on the deadlines. Mine are far too liquid! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I promised my Mum I would have something to show her on her birthday which is at the end of this month!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like all your hard work will be soooo worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right Mara, sitting behind a computer has definitely sent my Mum potty.....oh, sorry you said batty, well yes, she's that as well!
    That must be a very rare thingy going back in time and finding unmarried mothers considering just how much it was frowned on in the past
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's very interesting! Glad your mother's book is coming together now. I went to the show today and it felt so good sitting in front of that big screen....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a real trooper to keep working on the book goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be glad when it's done though! Really glad! And I will not do anything for the remainder of August. Apart from work and knit and go on holiday.

      Delete
  7. I had no idea that you could check on unwanted/early pregnancies. Do you just check the birthdate of the firstborn against the wedding date? What made you think to do this?

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!