Wednesday 4 May 2016

Moving day

Part of the living room
Moving day started bright and early for me. 5.45am and I was wide awake. Wondering whether everything would be going to plan, whether everybody who had promised to come would show up, wondering where I was going to live. 

Well, everything went quite smoothly. Thanks to a few colleagues who had come to help me during the week, I had managed to get most things packed up. The few things that were left, were done before anybody arrived and the television and the bed were done by some of the helpers. Who all showed up. Several trailer loads went to storage and everything else went to the new address. The first two cars went during the morning and I finally got to see it during the afternoon. 

Stacking them up. And yes, the ones at the top weigh almost nothing
By about seven pm everything had been moved, the house had been cleaned, the satellite dishes had been taken down and we were shattered. The only missing link here was Miss Oswin, who I had not seen all day. All those people were quite scary. However, when I got back to the house after the last load had been delivered, she was already waiting for me and I was able to take her to our new home.

On Sunday I showed the house to the owner, who was surprised I was out already. Turns out she isn't as horrid as I thought. She had meant that I had three months notice starting May 1st. I had understood that I had to be out by May 1st. Her final words were 'I hope we can remain friends'. I told her, no. Not enemies, but certainly never friends. 

My 'new' wardrobe. The empty space is where Miss Oswin likes to sleep at night
The new place is roomy and much bigger than I expected. Most of the boxes are now sorted, either stacked up (books and dvd's) or empty (kitchen). There is still some work to be done, but it will keep a few days longer.

9 comments:

  1. Glad that's over for you ... for now anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be such a relief to have that move behind you. Friends are like diamonds. It didn't take you long to make the new place livable either. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    ...to 'remain friends' you have to have been friends in the first place!!! Silly woman - and I suspect she had been deliberately vague...it's all very well to say afterwards, "oh I only meant..."...Tsk... (still sending 'swords' on your behalf - it's the only thing I can do for you at this distance!) Misunderstanding or not, I think the timing of this will turn out to be very much in your favour as it has kickstarted a process you were thinking about anyway! Here's to 'new chapters'... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly woman wasn't entirely what I thought. She hadn't been deliberately vague though. I just saw the date, the word notice and 1+1=87! If I had asked again, but I just didn't want anymore to do with her than strictly necessary.

      As for the kickstart. I am getting my head in order right now, but I don't think I will be moving until at least October. Something coming up quite soon that will need all my focus (more on that next week) and then a well needed holiday with my sister.

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Oh yes, have to admit that I have had occasions of seeing incorrectly as a result of shock or panic... or plain anger. Oh well. Yes, having the holiday to look forward to is a big lift! YAM xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the day ran smoothly and that you are almost all settled in. Way to go on saying "No" to your landlord!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it all went well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are glad you spoke up for yourself. Now, onto a new adventure!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!