Wednesday 27 January 2016

...and that's the answer 5

Lottery numbers? Seriously???
Frankie Furter and Ernie were a bit cheeky and requested to know the lottery numbers. Which I could give them of course, but they would only work if they had a time machine! Which I don't. Unless you count that weird thing in the basement, but I have yet to figure out how to work it...

They did have a second and more serious question though: the average temperature in Norway! Now, there is a question for me. And virtually unanswerable. It's like asking the average temperature of the United States. Alaska brings the temperature down, Hawaii takes it up. It's the same with Norway. 

The country is so long and thin that there are so many differences. The northernmost part of the country is within the polar circle. The southern part is just above Aberdeen in Scotland. Then it depends whether it is east or west, especially down south, where the country is at its widest. I live in the west. It rains. Winters are usually brown/green with a lot of water and low, but not freezing temperatures. In the east, winters are usually white with below zero temperatures. The far north white and below zero again. 

Summers in the west are green and wet. In the east green and a little less wet. Temperatures are okay, although in 2014 it was a perfect summer with a lot of warmth and very little rain. 

Of course, even where I live snow and cold can come. As long as the wind is from the east (Russia/Siberia), we get below and snow. But as soon as the wind comes from the west, which it does mostly, it means above and rain. 

But, I haven't mentioned a single number yet! Well, after some serious digging, I found out that the average temperature in the north was about +2 degrees Celsius (35 F), the average where I live about 10 C (50F). Winters are -10C (14F) in the north, 2C (35F) where I live. Summers are 13C (55F) up north, 15C (59F) where I live. However, the temperatures are on the rise here in Norway as well. 

I hope this more or less answers your question?

15 comments:

  1. All your photos make Norway look soooo pretty!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really thought it was much colder in Norway ! But certainly the days are very short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it sounds really cold! We must have a wider swing of temperatures here in the middle of the United States compared to Norway, I suppose. I was dealing with frozen pipes last week with below zero temps, and in the summer it is not unusual to have 90 degree days. (all in Fahrenheit, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari Om
    ....(...#4???) As a response #5 though, this is brilliant! Covers all aspects pawfectly... am sure F&E will be impressed. Have to say though, that pretty much every one's average the world over is getting mucked around with in the current climate! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the number 4. You will have to wait a bit for that one.

      The temps are on the way down again over here apparently. Which I like...

      Delete
  5. YAM-Aunty is SOOOOO correct.. We are Very MUCH impressed with your answer...about the Weather, at least... still waiting fur the winning #'s though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting! BUTT we think F&E better not buy that lottery ticket yet!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be unwise, since my time machine is still not working!

      Delete
  7. I too thought Norway was much colder. Such a difference in the regions as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really depends where you live in this here big country. I got it mixed up as well when I moved to the wettest and most like the Netherlands climate three years ago!

      Delete
  8. Yes, you would get the effect of the North Atlantic Drift (current) in your location. I see such beautiful winter photos of the mountainous region -- to die for in their grandeur.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks very nice there and thank you for helping me learn more about Norway.

    Ziggy Out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CRIKEY ... Even your HOT days are COLD, aye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's the average you know. Some days might be really good and go up to the twenties, other days might be really bad. But our average is a bit colder than other places.

      Delete
  11. Well that was a round about way of answering the questions!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!