Wednesday 8 July 2015

My home

The most uncomfortable sofa bed ever!
When I first moved to Norway two and a half years ago, I lived in a small apartment. A basement apartment facing North. My bedroom could be used as fridge number 2, the place was a bit too small and there would be no room for my cats (Wuppie and Linette, who were both due to come in the spring). So, I had to find another place to live.

My demands? At least two bedrooms so I could have guests over, a garden where the monsters could roam, not too close to a road and it had to have the sun at some time during the day, even in midwinter.

*I got the two bedrooms. One large one for me and one tiny one for a visitor. If my parents come I am willing to give up my bed(room), all others: tough!

*I got the garden. A huge garden that has so many more different flowers this year than it had last year. Mainly to do with the fact that I do nothing at all with the garden. Well, apart from the grassy area which will take me at least 2 hours to mow (half hour of mowing, hour of loading the battery again, half hour of mowing). If the grass is very high, it can even take up to three hours!

*The space between my home and the road is about one small car's width. Which is very close. Then again, there is no traffic to speak of. The occasional tractor, two buses a day, some cars. I don't really need to be worried of being run over!

*I have the sun all day long. Because my home is detached and the nearest houses are at least 60 meters away, I am not bothered with being in the shadow at all. During the height of summer, the sun starts in the kitchen, moves to the hallway, then to the living room and lastly to the other windows in the living room.

*Plus: I have a view. I overlook several islands (small ones), the airport and the North Sea. On occasion I can see cruise ships or Viking ships in the distance.

*Plus: there is the nature. I am surrounded on all sides by nature. The area I live in has been designated farm/leisure/nature land and can not be built on, unless really really really really necessary!

*Plus: since I have no direct/close neighbours, I can turn up the volume! Which I only do if I am in the shower, or when it's Eurovision!

*Plus: when I haven't got any music on, the only thing I can hear is the wind, the birds (curlews, plovers, sea gulls, sparrows and more) and the occasional lowing of a cow or bleating of a sheep.

So, do I love where I live? Well, let me put it like this: I couldn't imagine living in a more built up area ever again!!

12 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    What a wonderfully evocative description, Mara! My kinda place for sure. (Not that I have it too badly, either &*>!) You sound very content with this arrangement and that is a good good thing... Now then,,, are you, Miss O and Brom ready for Rodeo roundup??? It's gonna be F U N... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that was before I thought of the fruit trees and the berry bushes in my garden. If last night's storm hasn't been too bad, I hope to be able to make jam again this year of my plums and apples!

      Delete
  2. That sounds wonderful ! You are already there over 2 years ? can't believe it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like happy to us!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we are very happy here. Especially Miss Oswin who never wants to come in, because she is out in the fields somewhere!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to have a place that delights you so! Makes the day in and day out of life all the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely gives me a place of peace and rest after a day's work in which you have to deal with people and traffic and quite a bit of noise.

      Delete
  5. There are many pluses to this place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crikey Mara ....... your home sounds PERFECT to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there are a few downsides to it, like the Ecoli-water (I have to boil all water before drinking it), the low ceilings, the sloping floor and when there is a storm, the walls actually move. Other than that: perfect indeed!!

      Delete
  7. I lived out in the the country for about 9 months by myself, and I loved the quietness! But then the woman who owned the house decided to sell it, so I had to find another place to live. You just made me jealous again! (except for the ecoli water...that sounds like a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds perfect and you are blessed to have found such a great place to live.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!