Tuesday 3 December 2013

My sister and I

The Cantus Vitale 
My sister was here over the weekend. She arrived on Friday and left again this afternoon. Not much time to do a great deal. Especially since the forecast was rain and even if I am equipped to deal with that, my sister not so much. At least not here!

But, as I drove to the airport on Friday afternoon, the rain ceased. On Saturday, we saw blue skies and while we were in town it stayed dry. It only started raining after we had gotten home again. Then Sunday saw beautiful weather, albeit with a fierce wind. We didn't go out however. We sat on the couch, reading, knitting, crocheting, watching television and dvd's and internetting. It wasn't until late in the afternoon that we got our act together and got dressed. 

We were going to church! Not for a regular service, but for a Christmas concert with 11 local and regional choirs. I like Christmas music, my sister likes Christmas music, we both like choirs. It was a no-brainer. 

Sveio Songlag
The Christmas music we heard was mostly Norwegian. Every choir sang two different songs and it went like clockwork. They sounded good and there were even some choirs that sang a song in English. We had a favourite as well: Carol of the Bells, which was sung beautifully by the Sveio Songlag Choir. The last song of the evening was to be sung by everybody and I was able to do so. My sister didn't even try, since what's written down doesn't sound like anything she thinks it might sound like!

She left again today. I took her to the airport (only 10 minutes away) and my weekend with my sister was over. The next time we will see each other will be next year, when I will visit her.

Thank you for a good weekend!

5 comments:

  1. The Carol of the Bells is quite delightful. We had a trip to the airport yesterday. It was more than 10 minutes, and it was not enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Oh this was special Mara - having just arrived back in Scotland, seeing my sisters and brother again is fab - dad too of course!! Have yet to hear my first carol... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a super visit, Mara, and I'm so glad. My sister doesn't speak to me, but I love my sisters-in-law, so that helps.
    I see you and Yamini both had family reunion times recently. I had phone calls from both of my brothers on my birthday, Sunday, and a long, long phone call from my friend I grew up with. We've known one another more than 60 years, but I still remember the first day we met. She was pushing her brothers (twins) in a double stroller and I was jealous because I only had one little brother, so when she announced, "You have to play with me" I said no. I was 4 and she was either 5 or 6, depending on the time of year because we're 18 months apart. Anyway, I had to play with her, and she's been bossing me around ever since.
    Luv, K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like al lovely evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'a' lovely evening, that is... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!