Tuesday 12 March 2013

Guilty conscience

As you know I have been going to Norwegian classes for a few weeks now. We do some 'together' work and afterwards we do our own stuff, since we are all at different levels. The together work this morning was about verbs and modal verbs and presens and infinitive and stuff. Somehow or other we got onto 'dårlig samvittighet'. I didn't have a clue what that meant and neither did the Poles, so a Norwegian-English dictionary was produced and I looked it up. Guilty conscience. 

The Poles however were still in the dark and there was no Norwegian-Polish dictionary. One of them got the  class laptop out to look it up, while in the mean time I tried to explain what it was. Involving wives and cakes (hey, I had to stay in Norwegian mode and they love their cakes) and all that. By the time the Pole had found the Polish word, they sort of understood. And the Polish word affirmed it as well!

Next week I will go to a more advanced class!

*****

In other news: as you also know I have move coming up. And not only a move, but quite a few expenditures, involving cars and furniture and stuff. Since my knowledge of cars is quite limited (wheels, steering wheel, doors, engine, boot) and my basic way of choosing one is colour, I basically know nothing. A colleague of mine (the Dutch guy I am not married to) knows a lot more about cars. He fixes his own! Plus he knows a car dealer. He speaks better Norwegian. Oh, and he is a guy! 

He phoned me today. He may have found a car. We are going to look at it on Thursday and if I like it and it's a good car, I will buy it. Even though apparently it's not pink! Which is a downside, but I could always get a pot of paint...

4 comments:

  1. A pot of paint will certainly affect its resale value (and not in a good way).
    I'm so proud of you, teaching Norwegian to Polish people. LOL
    Glad the guilty conscience isn't yours.
    Luv, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for learning another language. I think it's great that this guy is helping you. Hope it's a good one. Wishing you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the car. Maybe you can paint it pink afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I need to keep reading to see if you saw the car today! Exciting things are still happening over there, Mara!

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!