Monday 8 October 2012

Whipping it

I had decided I wanted to make eclairs this weekend. I have made them before and they were yummy, so I thought I would make them again. I had decided on a raspberry and whipped cream filling and a white chocolate cover, which of course is a perfect combination. 

First I had to go to the supermarket and buy all the ingredients. Then, as I cooked the water and the butter to melt the butter, added the flour and then the eggs, everything was alright in the world. I squirted large eclairs on a tray and stuck them in an oven. And then it was the turn for whipped cream. Unfortunately I had forgotten to get lemon juice, but I thought that washing the bowl and the mixing thingies would work just as well. Wrong! After ten minutes I still had a liquid with some scummy stuff on top. So, off I went to the supermarket for the second time.

I came back with more whipping cream and lemon juice. I cleaned out the bowl real good with the juice and starting whipping again. Ten minutes later I threw it away: liquid and scum does not equal whipped cream. Fortunately I also have glass bowls, so I cleaned one of those and poured in more cream to whip. Two minutes later I had butter!

By now I was fed up and I made a third trip to the supermarket. This time to get the ready-made stuff! Fortunately that worked very well with the mashed raspberries and I was finally ready to start filling the eclairs. But then the next problem arose: how was I going to do that? I have one of those pastry bags with a lot of nozzles (for lack of a better word), but they were too big and the size I needed, I did have, but it didn't fit in the pastry bag!

Well, finally I was so fed up with it all, I accepted the suggestion of my friend: slice them open and fill them that way. Not the proper way I know, but by then I was ready to bin the whole lot! After having 'filled' the eclairs I set to melting the white chocolate and cream. However, I didn't let it cool off enough after and the eclairs we enjoyed stuck to nearly everything! They were yummy though!!!

3 comments:

  1. You show great tenacity when it comes to eclairs ... as well as in other things, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, you certainly worked hard for your eclairs, and I'm glad you enjoyed eating them after all that. Bravo.
    Now I want a chocolate eclair.
    Mmmm.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound yummy. I really dislike when I'm baking and I have issues like that! Cutting them and filling them was a great idea. Glad you got to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!