Wednesday 26 September 2012

K is for...

Kaliningrad

Kaliningrad is a town in Russia, but situated in a part of Russia between Lithuania and Poland. It used to be part of Prussia and was called Königsbergen until 1946. It lies on the Baltic Sea. But not only is it a town, it is also a naval vessel. And a fairly big one at that!
The name in Cyrillic writing
As I was at the Navy Days in the Netherlands this year, we saw this ship arriving and being moored. It's always amazing how they do that: the steering is somewhere at the back, which goes against all I believe in. Then again, they might be lousy at parallel parking a coach!
This is the letter K for ABC Wednesday. Why not join?

5 comments:

  1. lots of places on the Baltic around Poland and the Baltic states have changed hands many times over the years.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  2. The naval days are always interesting. My husband, children and I saw them regularly. Both Rotterdam and Amsterdam are having them. I like the sight of the tall ships coming in.
    Thanks for your visit, Mara. Have a great day.
    Wil, ABC Wednesday team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to Navy Days for years and years. Always fun, always crowded . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I had to look up moored! I agree, I could not imagine steering from the back. I can't even paralled my Mini Cooper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to see all those huge ships in port.
    Good post for the letter K.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!