Tuesday 17 August 2010

E is for...

Egyptian

When I lived in England I didn't always go home to my parents for the holidays. Because doing that meant being the only one home, while the rest of the family was out to work or at school. So, I took several trips within England.

I took the train to Bournemouth one day and stayed in a friendly B&B at the wrong end of town (in this case: the boring end). It was autumn and most people at that time visiting Bournemouth were well over the retirement age. Apart from that the weather didn't really cooperate either and it was cold, windy and rainy. So, when I saw this sign leading me to a Lego exhibition indoors, my mind was made up: I was going to see some lego.

If you have never heard of lego, you must have been living under a rock, but it's basically little blocks of plastic that you can use to build cars, houses, easter bunnies and anything else you fancy. It stems from Denmark (little country in Europe, also home to Hans Christian Andersen) and they have built an entire theme park because of it. Last year James May (from Top Gear) built a life-size house in which he spent the night. Out of lego!

Anyway, Egyptians come from Egypt in Africa. And apart from pyramids, escaping Jews, Omar Sharif and mummies, they had Cleopatra. As pictured above.

For more E-words from around the world, please check out ABC Wednesday and join in the fun!

Photo taken in 1993 in Bournemouth

19 comments:

  1. wow- and I can't build anything but a square donut out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you walk like an Egyptian? Sorry, song's in my head now.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I used to LOVE playing with Lego when the boys were small (and I had the excuse!), but I've never seen one of the exhibitions. Never been to Legoland.

    We used to make space ships and bizarre houses, and all kinds of 'boy' stuff. No Cleopatras. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. the image is very lovely,
    Glad that you have a chance to honor Egyptian and its culture...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you went to Bournemouth and the Lego exhibit, - it is truly amazing what you can build out of little square blocks..

    ReplyDelete
  6. After visiting the Legoland Park here in San Diego, I've discovered there are some very creative lego builders. Amazing to see what they can build.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Legos! now that brings back memories of when my son was little. And I love the Egyptian model, fantastic and very enticing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!!
    You are a story weaver.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the little slaves pulling the whatdoyoucallit? Throne? Never been much of a Lego-fan. Saw the James May Lego episode. And the one with the race track. Loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always amazed at the things that can be build out of legos. Never much cared for picking them all up when the children were finished playing with them, and have you ever stepped on one? OUCH! Wonderful post for E day today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Legos and this scene you captured. I don't know if I'd actually stay overnight in a Lego house. Great E post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved building with legos when I was little. My creations never looked as good as those Eygptians, though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. a Cleopatra from Legos? :-o wow.. thats nice..! innovative and creative :D loved it..

    My ABC Wednesday E

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely. great tour to Legoland.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely adore Legos and Egyptians! Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks great. Love reading about it.

    On behalf of the ABC Team, thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting. Never been to Bournemouth - but some of our neighbours were talking about only the other day - went to Legoland in Denmark years ago - amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like those Egyptian figures. We have a Legoland just down the road a mile or so and can often hear their fireworks in the late evening, I think at the weekends actually. But I have never been.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My son was all about Lego's when he was young. We have a park here but I haven't been to it. It opened after our kids were grown.
    I love what they make with the lego's.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!