Monday 10 August 2009

Update


Occasionally I will get the question about whether I'm still on for my emigration to Canada. From my parents, from my neighbour, from my colleagues.

Well, I am still going. My goal is still my birthday next year (June 30th), but even I know that is quite unlikely to happen, unless I win the lottery. Because I need quite a bit of money and have only managed to save up 1/12 of the amount needed. Then when I have the amount needed, I will need a job, because Canada isn't just going to let me in because I have blonde hair and blue eyes (I wish).

As I've mentioned before, there are some people not believing in my eventual emigration. I can't blame them really. Some don't want to believe it, because they don't want me to go (most notably my parents), some don't believe it, because I've been talking about it for so long and nothing has happened so far. Well, not as far as they can see anyway.

So, what have I done in the last five years? Well, I've paid off a massive debt (€19,000) and have only recently been able to start saving up. I've narrowed down the area where I might want to live. Turns out Alberta is the only province that might actually have me, so the narrowing down was easy. Now of course I have to decide whether Edmonton or Calgary might be the better option. Or whether I would be better off moving to a smaller town. Or it might just be a case of where they will hire me!

I don't know what the future holds for me. I hope it will include Canada in some way.

3 comments:

  1. As a Canadian who thought he knew a little (not much) about immigration, I am surprised to learn about the role of provinces. Other than Quebec's special deal, I thought it was strictly a federal issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you all the best with your plans Mara. It certainly sounds as though you have your heart set on it. I know how your parents feel. My son and his family emigrated to Australia 5 1/2 years ago. I have visited, several times, have learned to accept it and look forward to the next time. A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Canadian I hope your dreams come true. I have lived in Alberta - in small places, but loved Calgary - so close to the mountains! Lots to see and do all over the province.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Any weighty (and not so weighty) comments are welcome!